I had a 5 hour window of availability with my new crew/"posse". Since this was our first session together, I took them on a tour of the prototype area I modeled in Westville and Woodbury. This gave them a feel for what we are trying to accomplish.
We then watched segments of a DVD showing PRR & RDG steam going through the area modeled and a David Popp video on car cards & waybills.
After pigging out on pizza we hit the train room with only 2 hours left.
The only PRSL freight schedule I have is a 1974 version (the trackage is 1950 accurate) and we attempted to run 4 of the 5 scheduled freights in the time we had available.
Skipping the morning and evening commuter runs we planned to run the following:
- Philly transfer into Pavonia (took longer than expected to break it down)
- WY843/842 Deepwater coal drag
- WY33/34 Millville local
- WY841/840 Deepwater local
- WY79/80 Tank train sweeper for Texaco (Westville) and Sunoco (Paulsboro (off-line)).
- Pavonia to Philly transfer
We got halfway through.
The yard had electrical continuity issues (in spite of running perfectly the night before :-)) but the yard crew persevered.
Even though south Woodbury did not have a separate switcher on the prototype , I think it will need one on my layout.
I think we have proven that the layout can keep 4 people very busy and is relatively balanced if we can keep the main yard working efficiently..
In the end:
- We had fun
- There is still a lot of planning that needs to be done to clean up the bottle necks.
- In the fall we will have another go at it.