Friday, July 15, 2011

FALLEN FLAGS & A NEW BEGINNING

At the suggestion of a friend to begin blogging my new model railroading efforts, I’ll give this a whirl and see how long I last. The plan is to attempt a ~monthly update after I get it rolling.

FALLEN FLAG
My old layout is gone, may it rest in peace (pieces?):
http://www.allscalelayouts.com/R/Aspfiles/DetailPage.asp?Xfer_Code=20001280&Scale=N

Following our move from Deptford to Sewell (Washington Twp), the new layout has progressed from the dreaming/planning stage to actually beginning construction. It is to be a model of the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines circa 1950s, primarily in Westville and Woodbury, NJ. This is the area in which I grew up, less than a block from their Camden to Millville (and beyond) line. I lived in Westville until the 3rd grade when we moved to Woodbury Heights and I then attended Woodbury High School. I have only 1 vague memory of a steam locomotive chugging by my Kindergarten class window with the teacher stating that it was probably going off to the scrap yard.

The PRSL was once triple tracked through town with an electrified portion for commuter service (and the power plant was in Westville). It was down to 2 tracks by my childhood with the commuter service rapidly dwindling. Following our move to Woodbury Heights, the passenger service vanished into non-existence. Initially the ugly Baldwin road units(AS-16s) would carry 2 to3 Pennsy or PRSL standard coaches. They were later replaced by shiny new Budd RDCs (1 or 2). Soon they too were gone, the local station torn down, and 1 of the remaining 2 tracks removed.

When in High School a friend and I once walked the tracks taking pictures and notes:

CONSTRUCTION PHILOSOPHY
It is not my intent to model a super detailed layout so the nit-pickers should have a field day. I will model to a “good enough” level and enjoy the return to my childhood memories. The era will be the 1950s when the PRSL had an abundance of traffic. Westville once had about 10 spurs. In the period I will model, it will have the 6 that existed during my time there, including one to the Texaco refinery on the edge of town. I will, however, substitute some of their 1960s track side industries for a few of those that existed in the 1950s (when the vast majority were either coal fuel suppliers or lumber yards). The more recent food distributor and steel fabrication industries will add a little variety.

Engine usage will also be violated. There are no affordable (or otherwise) Baldwin road switchers available for the PRSL. (I do own all 3 Atlas PRSL GP38 models and some early Baldwin switchers.) I have an abundance of Sharks available from my previous layout! The RDCs will also invade the 1950s, as will some GP30s (both Reading and Pennsy).

Readers will be free to comment but as CEO I will reserve the right to pick and choose suggestions. I have yet to locate any other N scale modelers in the area, so progress will be slow and limited by my weak point areas.

My 20’x30’ basement is a thing of the past but I have negotiated the 12’x17’ (21’) loft into a man-cave with railroad rights. I also have eyes on the adjoining 12’x12’ storage area (yet un-negotiated). (Can I please remove the gas heater?  J).

Having been laid off from work since January (I just love us sending all those computer jobs off-shore!), construction finances will be extremely limited.

WOODBURY
Woodbury was an absolutely fascinating junction where mainlines diverged to 3 different areas (Millville, Deepwater (DuPont), and Swedesboro). I can remember 100+ car trains used to roll through town. Some had 3 Baldwin road switchers on the head-end and either mid-train and end of train cabins (cabooses), or 2 rear end cabins. I assume they were split into 2 trains heading in 2 diverging directions at Woodbury. A small yard was also there, I assume for sorting cars coming in from all 3 lines for train inclusion in Woodbury.

Early Eddie Fell track diagrams also list an icing track in Woodbury. It was long gone by my youth but still may find its way into my layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment