Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Blog Anniversary #3

This is the third anniversary of this blog. On the first blog anniversary I estimated that most blogs seem to run out of things to say somewhere between the 2nd and 4th years so I guess I should run out of gas soon!

So what have we learned:
  • I have found that blogs are a great place to store info about the prototype and a way to keep myself from repeating mistakes (somewhat) and a chance to reflect on the path to get to here.
  • The social aspects of the hobby make the journey worthwhile. I actively participate on the Railwire and nScale.net forums (and boy are they worlds apart) and monitor Trainboard. Through them I have met several interesting people, many of whom I would call friends. I have learned a lot and been pushed to accomplish things I would not have attempted on my own.
  • Historical Societies provide a ton of prototype information but many of the ex-railroaders are sometimes a little rough around the edges. (It must have been difficult work and I don't think the Pennsy was very employee friendly.)
  • To get to a semi-completed layout state a lot of compromises have to be made.

What has been accomplished:
  • In 3 years my PRSL layout has gotten to an operational state with most of the first pass scenery complete. (Long, long way to go.)
  • Realistic operations is a lot of work but a group makes it enjoyable.
  • It is fun to put a stake in an historical period and bring back to life your childhood.

Things I still don't know:
  • Does anybody else actually read this blog? I have only gotten comments from 3 people. It would be nice to know if anyone found anything here helpful (or at least amusing).
Anyway it has been a good 3 years, I now need to go blow out the candles.
Have a great day!  :-)

P.S. I hate blog entries without pictures!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, 2nd attempt to comment, not sure if 1rst made it, but yes I enjoy your blog, and read it through a news blog reader

    ReplyDelete