Monday, November 3, 2014

An Unintentional Lull Period

My railroad activities have been temporarily slowed by life.

I have been teaching theology in a church discipleship program and now have to prepare for the upcoming tax season (part-time  job for a tax prep company). And my mind just doesn't retain things like it used to.

Following the last op session I had to prepare all the waybills for the next session (spring) and find all the cars my #$*!  :-)  operators did not leave with their waybills. It takes some pre-set-up time which I actually enjoy because I get to recreate the shipments the local industries in my 1950's home towns would have been receiving and sending.

Meanwhile I have been collecting materials for the 3rd hobby article I hope to write (in about a year). It will cover both the Pennsylvania - Reading Seashore Lines prototype and the layouts of those who model it (4 to 5 at last count; contact me if you have one). When you have your hands in many projects, none of them seem to make much progress. You tend to get worn down and then disappointed at the darn'est things.

One of my current pet peeves is the model railroad forums I currently monitor, and depend heavily on for inspiration, they currently seem to have a whole lot of hot air (some folks just need to comment on everything, including non-hobby events) and do not post a lot of pictures. "In my world" I would propose that you would need a picture every 200 words or be banned from further comments! - All in favor: .....

A second rule would be that if you are on a forum for more than 2 years, you must have at least 6 sq ft of semi-finished scenery or you lose your posting rights. (Folks with lots of young kids or small apartments could apply for a temporary exclusions.)

On-topic questions would always be acceptable.

Meanwhile back on the farm.

I have again started photographing the aspects of what my operating sessions should be. In the early 1950s, the PRSL Millville branch was probably running about 6 commuter trains  to Philadelphia in the morning and 6 home at night. I am trying to get by with 3 each way (if I got ambitious I could rerun each 2 times, but since I prefer the freight operations: NO!).

The last runs I did were a pair of RDCs (the PRSL had 12 of them). [My RDCS have had the Pennsy decaling removed and are awaiting the PRSL decals which I possess]. These were followed by a Geep with 2 or 3 P70 coaches [I have the decals for them also, but removing the current lettering will be more of a challenge.] And finally a single Budd demo RDC (which the PRSL would borrow every summer).

Today's pictures are for the "To Philadelphia" commute. Next post will be the "From Philly" commute (out of order). Then I'll cover the Reading coal transfer from Pennsylvania that ends up at the Atlantic City Electric power plant in Deepwater, NJ. And then the 2 locals and the tank sweeper.

Patience! (I wish!)
A pair of Millville RDCS passing over Evergreen Avenue & Woodbury-Glassboro road in South Woodbury.
The RDCs at the Brooklawn circles. The Murphy House Park n' Eat was the greasy spoon perched on the "round-about".
A Geep and a pair of P70 coaches between the Woodbury station and the North Woodbury passenger shelter.
Last glance of the P70s leaving Westville to transverse the Timber Creek wooden trestle to Brooklawn.
Westville was the sight of the PRSL power plant that once energized the discontinued electric passsenger service on the line.
Summer seashore traffic necessitated borrowing the Budd Co demo unit every year.

Here the Budd unit is accelerating past the Red Oak tower in Woodbury.


Slowing to pick up commuters at the North Woodbury shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment