Saturday, June 18, 2016

Clear the Garage III

Continuing my journey through my 55 years of paper Model Railroader issues, I have now completed the 1990s.  The issue sizes got into the 200+ pages rather consistently and then began to trend down into the mid one hundreds. The issue prices have reached well into the $3+ range.

To celebrate their 65th anniversary year they did an interesting series publishing "Milestones in Model Railroading."
Jan: Al Kalmbach starting Model Railroader magazine (what did you expect?)
Feb: Creation of the NMRA (they did create very helpful standards)
March: John Allen’s Engine house
April: Frank Ellison’s “The Art of Model Railroading”
May: Postage Stamp Trains (made the public aware of N scale)
June: Astrac starting command control
July: The Styrene Revolution (I guess wood wasn’t good enough)
Aug: Japanese brass (as if I could afford it then (or now))
Sept: Kadee Magne-Matic couplers
Oct: The Evolution of Scale Models (only discussed O & HO scales)
Nov: Ground Foam for Realistic Scenery (goodbye zip texturing!)
Dec: The Beginnings and Growth of HO Scale (we get no love at all in N scale!)

I should be able to complete the garage task (first pass) next week (my subscription ended in 2011).

And MR humor (into the 70s and 80s and the last of H A Smith (my favorite)):
1.1  "Before I can extend the mainline, I have to file an environmental impact statement with my wife.”
1.2  “Well, whaddaya know! The little bubble was stuck!”
2.1  "Want to see the 0-4-0 I bought for this room’s new layout!”
2.2  “This baby will cost you $179.99 plus tax, new drapes for the living room, a new gown, and a night at a French restaurant.”
3.1  “That the last time I visit a layout that has 27 duckunders and walk around control.”
1.1   “Services suspended until my kitchen shelves are put up – by order – Household Authority”
1.2   “There’s been a derailment somewhere in this area.”
2.1   “I made the mistake of asking Fred if he could break away from his trains long enough to fix the refrigerator door.”
2.2   “Captain, you asked me to remind you when we were over Denver.”

No comments:

Post a Comment