Monday, October 10, 2011

What a Difference a Day Makes, 24 (55) Little Hours (Trees)

                               Trees
           I think that I shall never see
          A poem lovely as a tree.
          A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
          Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;
          A tree that looks at God all day,
          And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
          A tree that may in summer wear
          A nest of robins in her hair;
          Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
          Who intimately lives with rain.
          Poems are made by fools like me,
          But only God can make a tree.
                             Joyce Kilmer.   1886–1918

Trees, I love them!

I spent an evening planting 55 of them on the Westville and Timber Creek modules and am stunned with the difference they make. I can't afford the "Super Trees" but the Heki versions still do a presentable job.
 
I did overdo the pine trees in the second Brooklawn circle area. It makes it look like more like a forested area than the moderately dense suburbia that it is in real life. But on the other side of the ledger, it is a dead space that needs to both  be filled in and hide the wall transition.
The PRSL is a totally new challenge to me. My previous layout  represented the moderately mountainous region along the edge of the Appalachians north to Allentown, PA. This layout is condemned to the relatively flat southern New Jersey plains (i.e. I probably won't get to reuse 99% of the 2,500+ puff-ball trees used on the PRR Schuylkill Division).
Tree placement is an art form in itself. This is to be more of a switching layout than my previous railroad, so it is imperative to not put the fragile, easily knocked-over trees in locations around the manual turnouts. I've tried to follow the recommended "group them in 2s and 3s" routine and also use them to hide the transition of roads into the "wall". I understand that needs to be balanced by avoiding them casting shadows onto the wall. Just how you do both  in a slanted ceiling loft I haven't quite figured out yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment