Sunday, June 3, 2012

De-Motivation

Someone on Railwire started a topic on motivation, basically looking for the gang to provide some inspiration to get modeling again. I seem to have slipped into a similar non-progressive period and I got to thinking why those periods occur.

I guess some factors would be:
     1)  Lack of money: 16 months of no full-time employment
          Counter-argument: I have many, many, many building kits that have been sitting around for up to 30 years

     2)  Indecision: With 3 modules largely done the initial work, the next module needs to go:
          a) Across 6' of loft windows

          b)  Into the unheated storage space (no money to insulate it and my wife would not be pleased with my invasion of the home's only large storage area (12'x12' with a gas heater).

          c) Across  the room entrance which will necessitate a duck-under (and raising the layout height above its current 48"). I am 65 and no longer spry.

     3)  Boredom
     Counterargument, I do not get bored when there is new bench work and track work to build.

     4)  Roadblocks: I have two:
          a) The other side of the room contains built in desk and shelves which will have to be at least partially destroyed (replacement wallboard) in order to get my Philadelphia scenes in (30th street station area & Walnut Lane Bridge).

          b) Space: My original 4'x8' layout remains in the 12'x17' (21') loft, blocking further expansion.

I plan to sell it off after my next article (about it) gets published in N Scale Magazine. Unfortunately they have yet to schedule it and I need to keep it around in case I need to replace some pictures submitted with the article. At this point I would be happy to know that they really do intend to use it (hopefully in its intended form).

5)  Lack of picture taking sites remaining. You can only take so many pictures (and I've taken several hundred) in a 14' space until some trains start running. I could do some more switching except for reason #4b (again).
 

So I guess my current delay can be traced to #4b & #2c with 4b holding the greater impediment
The available aisle spaces are currently 24" and 32". The 4'x8' has got to go at some point (and there will be tears).

No comments:

Post a Comment