Thursday, September 6, 2012

How to Get Everybody Mad at You:

Model Railroad Forum Thoughts:

Model Railroad forums are a great source of help and information that make the hobby  better. They are a way to acquire new friends with similar interests and grow your skill sets. I believe every modeler should at minimum monitor one site and contribute when they can add something to the group.

A friend led me to the Railwire site (http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?board=1.0) and I became hooked. Then I realized there were other sites. To name a few:
            nScale.net (http://www.nscale.net/forums/forum.php),
            Trainboard (http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/forumdisplay.php?170-N-Scale),
            nscale.org (http://www.nscale.org/defaulteng.htm)
            Atlas (now defunct)

Personally I definitely object  to people posting the same stuff on multiple forums. They have their own reasons (different friends on each, etc.) but it comes across to me as more ego. (Yes I know I shouldn't judge, please smack me on the hand.) If everyone did that there wouldn't be a reason to have multiple forums.

On several sites I also am annoyed at the excessive use of large emoticons (look at me! look at me!) and the space they take up. But speaking of judging anyway, I have compiled a list of things that I personally like and don't like about each forum. These observations are mostly first impressions and definitely subject to change. (You need to make up your own mind!)


Atlas: Sorry I never got to know you before you closed down. It did have a pervasive reputation of being a site that contained a lot of animated divisive arguments.


nscale.org: I occasionally go to view the layouts. but do not spend much time there.
Pluses:
  • Colorful site
  • Lots of pictures
Negatives:
  • Hard to read
  • Significant foreign model railroads (nothing wrong with that; I just do not have an interest in non-North American railroads)
 
Trainboard:
Pluses:
  • A lot of good experienced modelers across multiple scales
Negatives:
  • Harder to navigate
  • Waste too much space at top with clutter; always have to page down at least once
  • Search feature hard to use and usually times out
  • Admins quick to close topics
 
Railwire:
Pluses:
  • A ton of great modelers (especially the Canadians)
  • Eastern RR tilt (my preference)
  • Easy to get good advice & help (DKS, Conrail 98, Lee Weldon)
  • Well organized site
  • Strong search capability
  • Easy to upload pictures
  • A lot of traffic and interesting topics
  • Seems to have gotten better with the addition of the Atlas fugitives
  • Seems to be the most active (number of topics and participation)
Negatives:
  • Won't accept hotmail email addresses for membership
  • A lot of insider jokes that clog up the discussions
  • People take pride in earning the title "a$$hat" (they could have chosen a less crude title)
  • Very opinionated (a lot of "my way is better")
  • A couple of  socially inept (nasty), picky participants with Neanderthal attitudes.
  • Can be non-family friendly, obnoxious, and proud of it " Irreverence is embraced, instead of frowned upon"
This is an excellent site but this last item is what I consider to be its main drawback. Most people grow up over time but there are some on this site that are proud of their snotty attitudes and very vocal.


nScale.net
Pluses:
  • All N Scale
  • By far the friendliest and most open
  • Family friendly
  • The only forum to stay on topic with my question on forum focuses
  • Easiest to search for local modelers (unfortunately south Jersey is relatively N scale modeler barren)
Negatives:
  • Have yet to uncover many advanced modelers - most seem to have small loop track layouts (certainly OK but I am looking for more)
  • Reputation of feeling everything is OK (critics say they: "celebrate mediocrity")
  • Picture handling OK but could be easier

Personal conclusions:  I am trapped between Railwire and nScale.net. I can get usually get more good advice from Railwire but am turned off by some participants with immature attitudes. nScale.net is more friendly (less Neanderthals). So for the time being I'll enjoy spending time in both and perhaps get to modify some of my initial observations.

Really wishing them all the best! They all make the hobby better.

So go out and find one that meets your tastes!

2 comments:

  1. I have to mostly agree with you on the various N scale message boards. I miss Atlas but at least it is still there and searchable for info. I love Rail Wire for the knowledge and the ideas that people have and share, but some of the attitudes do get me down from time to time so then I have Nscale.Net which, as you say is about the friendliest message board. I'll also agree that for the most part you can do no wrong there so, at times, it's not really that helpful when it comes to advancing the skills - but I love it anyway. The Trainboard is handy at times, too but I also find it awkward to use. RW is by far the easiest with NScale.Net a close second

    ReplyDelete