Sunday, September 9, 2012

Train Storage

1) I used to store in regular OfficeMax cardboard containers. They held 116 cars (9 rows of 12 MT cars + 8 spacers in the middle). That left a lot of open space above the cars. To facilitate our house move I cut the boxes down to eliminate the headroom as shown.
 
2) Got some cheap (modus operandi) 5 drawer plastic drawer storage units (~$20). Each of the 5 drawers holds78 MT cars (6x13). Extra vertical space will hold locomotive containers also.


3) My next plan is to put storage under my freestanding "Woodbury" modules. My modules are 16" wide and 6' long.  I have about 12" free space between the legs. I will put a 12" board between the horizontal braces with a 1"x3" board mounted vertically down the middle (screwed in making it a strong "L"/"T" girder) which should perfectly hold 288 MT containers (3 high on both sides).


3 comments:

  1. Rick, what are the dimensions of those 5-drawer units? I think I have the 3-drawer one but might want to get some 5 drawer ones for under my layout, er, benchwork

    ReplyDelete
  2. 39" x 12.5" x~15" (slightly rounded front). I got mine at Big Lots for around $20.00. Add 2" height if you want to put the rollers on. They also come in 7 drawer units but then only the bottom 3 are deep enough to store the train boxes vertically.

    ReplyDelete