Friday, January 30, 2015

The Pennsylvania Railroad H30 Covered Hopper Cars

From 1934 to 1952 the Pennsylvania Railroad built 1325 40' H30 class covered hopper cars. They were of riveted construction and included external 45 degree outside bracing. They were unique! They had a 70 ton capacity and were used to weather protect relatively light products such as cement. As a rule of thumb, the tuscan cars were pre-1950, followed by the grey paint scheme.

Fox Valley Models has been kind enough to produce these unique cars in several paint schemes including both the grey and tuscan versions of the Pennsylvania Railroad. They made it into the Conrail era but were gone by about 1981.

Although I am actively trying to downsize my freight car fleet by about 300 cars, I could not pass up the opportunity to purchase a pair of these unique cars since they fit right into my modeling era and were cars I watched frequently travel by my childhood homes.
Loads of cement being delivered to Buzby Bros. cement mixing plant

Parked in the South Woodbury Yard
PRR H30 Covered Hopper Car


No comments:

Post a Comment