Thursday, July 5, 2018

Late 1950s - A kid with a new hobby!


It was in the late 1950s and I had just discovered Model Railroader magazines in a new small hobby shop in a local strip mall. There it was in a window, eye height to a pre-teen. I had just gotten into the hobby and I had no idea what the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was but there stood an HO engine bearing their name in a beautiful multi-colored paint scheme. (Keep in mind I lived in PRSL territory with nothing but boxy, “black” Baldwin road switchers.) There was no way I could save up enough to afford it at the time but I always wanted one. Sixty years later I got the chance to acquire a used B&O geep in N scale. Ah Heaven!

Although I am downsizing my N & HO collections, I cannot resist a few beautiful engines that in no way fit my prototype. The WP geep I saw at a Rick Spano open house and fell in love with the look and I was always in love with GN & NP early paint schemes.

Wistful of the days long past!


No comments:

Post a Comment