Sunday, May 5, 2019

Track Cleaning

I know it's a tired old argument with everybody having their favorite method but the (free) Model Railroad Hobbyist on-line magazine contained an article (under "Publisher's Musings") that dealt with the topic and gave a scientific explanation for the dirty track we all fight with.

They also rated 34 products on their effectiveness in controlling the cause of dirty track. Here are the results.


I am sure the "my favorite product" arguments will never fully go away but I hope this at least minimizes their frequency.

I have used Wahl's Clipper Oil for about 20 years, over multiple layouts, and can vouch that I can go without cleaning track (during non-construction periods) for more than 5 years at a time. (The exception being my 63 sets of switch points).

1 comment:

  1. It was an interesting article, but to be correct, the author didn't "rate" the products - he simply listed them in ascending order of their dielectric constant, and made a case for those with the lowest dielectric constant being best for resisting the build up of 'black gunk' (ie keeping the track clean.) My favourite track cleaning product, lighter fluid (naptha) wasn't included, so I have some homework to do.

    ReplyDelete