Friday, August 16, 2019

The End of the World

I am coming to the end of my 70% rebuild and it is finally time to attack the peninsula turnback problem.

Turnbacks are always a problem to hide so most times you are forced to go to a hill or mountain to hide/break up the non-prototypical 180-270 degree curve. Then there is the issue of keeping your expensive engines and cars off the floor. With only an inch or two to work with you need to create barrier between the “end of the world” and the floor.




I decided to make as much of a Sculptamold rise as I could in the limited space. So I got a roll of duct tape and taped it to the end of the 5/8” plywood and then bent it back on itself so it wouldn’t stick to the Sculptamold (and to make it sturdier).









When that was in place, I added bottle fir trees to the outer edge. Their wire frames are definitely sturdy enough to bounce the cars back onto the layout if the ridge itself doesn’t stop them.





No comments:

Post a Comment