Sunday, July 15, 2012

Blog Anniversary

OK, another excuse to reflect. You would think I was a thinker...which I am really not. Just someone with a lot of minor league ADHD thoughts whizzing through my head. Some pause for a moment, most do not linger.

It has now been a year since I began this blog. What have I learned?
·         that someday I will get even with Dave for planting blog thoughts in my head
·         that blogs are a great way to store information about railroads and modeling that you might want to remember later
·         that blogs can record progress towards your modeling goals - more progress than you would have been able to realize otherwise
·         that blogs force you to learn new talents and techniques (such as learning to take better pictures after you decide you are going to post pictures)
·         that some folks will read anything (how else do you explain the almost 3,000 site hits in the 8 months since I found you could stick a counter on a web page)
·         that blogs force you to wrestle with your thoughts and make them (somewhat) more cohesive (organized) before you write them down (fooled you didn't I!)
·         that spell checkers are invaluable

When I began this endeavor I figured I would attempt to write something once or twice a month but I have managed to put in 40 posts in the past year. A tribute to both the number of random thoughts passing between my ears and the amount of information that friends at the PRSLHS and Railwire have dug up for me.

What I haven't figured out:
·         Who reads this blog? There are only 10 people signed up as followers and most of them are family members who I bent their arms to sign up (but they never read it). I have never gotten any comments or emails about anything. So is it just due to web crawlers that read, organize, and alphabetize everything?
·         At what point do you run out of thoughts? Most blogs I have seen seem to run at of steam somewhere in the 2nd to 4th years.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see another model train blogger, it seems to be a niche for a very few of us. I do it for myself, and if others read it then so be (I followed a link from one of your post's on NScale.net) There is no follow link at the top, I'm not sure why, but I add them manually into google reader, not sure if using reader counts.
    Anyway, I really like this post you have some great points.
    I'm Zosimas btw on nscale.net

    ReplyDelete