Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Good Smells

Ah!  I just love the smell of freshly sawn wood and cork roadbed. I started the first Woodbury module and am experimenting with the module height. The others are at 48" (49") and will be raised 3"-6". I built this one at 54" (+3/4" plywood). I am 6'1" and it was more difficult to nail the roadbed but I want to get some track down and see how it looks. My wife is about 5'5" and the surface comes to about her chin. (She would have the best view (if she even liked trains at all)).

I must admit that the basic construction is one of my favorite parts.  You start with a clean sheet of paper and sketch alternatives (seems like this takes forever), you then make a full size sketch to see if everything fits and then the excitement really begins as your project begins to take shape and life! And the wood just smells so good!

Here are the first Woodbury module construction photos with target prototype locations (i.e. looking at Woodbury from the north and south):

                                                                                   R.L. Long Photo   W.J. Coxey Collection

                                                        Images of America: Woodbury p.45

No comments:

Post a Comment